The Vocal Fries Podcast
Date: June 3, 2019
Title: Choice is Good; Justice is Better
Carrie and Megan talk with Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson, PhD student at the University of Arizona, about the language around reproductive rights, reproductive justice and abortion.
If you are a new listener to the Vocal Fries Podcast (or even if you’ve been listening to us since the beginning), we would love to hear from you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how we can help you today!
In this episode, we discuss:
- The abortion bans/restrictions in the US
- Reproductive choice
- Reproductive justice
- Inclusive language
Follow our Podcast
Follow our Hosts
Explore these Resources
You can follow Mary-Caitlyn on Twitter
- Sister Song
- List of tweeters who tweet about reproductive rights
- Imani Gandy aka @AngryBlackLady – lawyer and podcaster who has great tweets about legal and legislative issues surrounding abortion; podcasts with @Hegemommy
- National Network of Abortion Funds
- National Abortion Federation
- Abortion Funds of Arizona
- Yellow Hammer Fund (Alabama)
- Arc Southeast (Based in Georgia, also serves Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee)
- Women Have Options (Ohio)
- Preterm (Ohio)
Become a Patron!
We’re an indie podcast with limited resources, so we could really use your support. You can set up a monthly recurring donation at patreon.com. The $5 a month level gives you access to our monthly bonus episode, as well as a new Vocal Fries sticker every three months and a shout out on the podcast! But you can contribute as little as $1 a month and have our undying gratitude!
Check Out Some Other Lingpods
- En Clair – a podcast about forensic linguistics (super interesting and fun!)
- Talk the Talk – a podcast about all things linguistics (and we even have a bonus episode where we interview them)
- Lingthusiasm – the podcast that is enthusiastic about linguistics (we interview them on a regular episode)
- Accentricity – a podcast about accents and other linguistic features
- The Troublesome Terps – a podcast about interpreters and interpreting (we interview each other on a regular episode)
Feel free to suggest more to add to this list!
Need a Presenter?
- Carrie can talk about indigenous languages of North America (particularly Salish, Inuit and Algonquian), semantics, syntax or the mathy side of language
- Megan can talk about child language acquisition, bilingual language acquisition and Spanish/Spanglish
- Both of the Vocal Fries can talk about all things linguistic discrimination, particularly vocal fry